Sunday, August 23, 2015

WEAKEST LINK

Recently I was asked to repair a door latch mechanism on a microwave. I discovered a broken piece of the moulded  plastic inside the door where a spring attaches. The weakest link.

This is yet another example of poor engineering. A part under load like that should, in my opinion, be made of metal.

To make matters worse, I discovered that the plastic, being "food grade", is next to impossible to glue. So, in this case, the part- the outer section of the door - would have to be replaced. Problem is, it's not available.

More junk to the landfill?

Wait a minute! I refuse to see an otherwise usable machine be trashed due to such a "minor" issue.

Check back here later for an update with photos when I'll post my solution. Hint: It involves a 50 cent bolt and nut and some black paint....

No comments: