Thursday, January 19, 2012

Car Won't Start?

Recently I applied my diagnostic skills and experience from years of owning old vehicles
to track down an electrical issue of a customer's car.

The customer was experiencing intermittent electrical issues while driving: the wipers would stop, the dashboard lights would dim and the car would stall.

After checking the battery and alternator for adequate voltage, I ruled out those as
potential problems and discovered that the ignition switch had a bad connection.

Sure enough, that was the issue as I was informed by the customer.

A lot of electrical issues with cars can be tracked down to the weakest link: A switch or broken/corroded wire.

Switches have metal contacts inside which wear and/or become corroded with age.
I once had a vehicle where the brake lights would stay on. It was a bad switch.

So, if you have weird electrical issues, look for a bad switch, poor connection of wires
attached to the battery or even a bad ground wire. Contact me if you have issues and I
may be able to find the problem.

No comments: